Paulet Street, Somerset East Story

This blog is about the street I was born in: Paulet Street, Somerset East, Eastern Cape, South Africa. I am looking for your stories and pictures, both past and present, so that we can bring this street back to life again in the book I intend to publish.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sedgefield, Southern Cape, South Africa

We are the authors of the Cape Commando Series - a series of books dealing with the South African War in the Cape Colony. Taffy, who obtained her doctorate from Stellenbosch University in 2005 with a thesis entitled "The Cape Rebel of the South African War", is the writer, while David does the editing and marketting. We also write other non-fiction books. David is the Chairman of the Simon van der Stel Foundation: Southern Cape Branch, and Taffy is the Secretary.

03 June 2006

A Visit to Somerset House

In September 2005 Vega and Stephen van Niekerk of Somerset House invited David and I to visit their luxury B&B, once my school way back in 1947. That evening I was speaker at their celebration of the centenary of the school building. We slept in a marvellous front room, and as I wondered at the comfort, the luxury and the soft sheets, I said to the room, "You've certainly come up in the world since we did sewing here on a Wednesday, when we Rooineks joined the Afrikaans girls for class!" That night I woke to hear a soft murmur coming from the walls. They were whispering, "Aren't we smart? Aren't we smart!" And so this book was born.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

3:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

5:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home